
Ok, in the grand scheme of things not a lot has been going on the last couple of days. So I thought , what can I write about the will be significant (lol ) ? Frankly I couldn't come up with anything. So instead I thought it would be a good day to just be frivolous. So here goes.....My favorite dessert is apple pie ( actually I love most pies , except cherry ). As a child I grew up eating my grandmother's apple pie. It was especially good hot, with a scoop of vanilla icecream on top. My Grandma Lea would bake this pie everytime the family had a special occasion. Mostly I remember it from our family reunions each New Year. A tradition that started with my Grandma Berta. She made some of the best lemon meringue pies. Unfortunately, She died from cancer when I was a child. So for many years we did not have the regular family get together. When my grandfather remarried, Grandma Lea took up the tradition. Once again our family home would fill up with grandchildren ( and great grands ), cousins, siblings, aunts and uncles. The smell of the food would hit you before you even got out of the car. I can still see the dining table overflowing ( before Uncle John and Uncle Richard hit it ) with all kinds of meat, side dishes and of course the famous desserts. Now, being young ( and a little dumb ) it never occurred to me ( even into adulthood ) that my grandmother had not been baking her famous apple pie from scratch. After Marc and I married I wanted to make ( or attempt to make ) Grandma Lea's famous apple pie. Boy, did I get a surprise when I called to ask for the "family" recipe. Grandma paused a minute and then told me I could get her famous pie in the frozen food section at the local grocery store. Just look for Mrs. Smith's ! So now when we have a New Years get-together and I am asked to bring a dessert. I sometimes bring Grandma Lea's "famous" apple pie ! Long story, short ... I started thinking about pie's the other day after spending the evening with the dress sale girls at the Cheesecake factory. We treated ourselves to a night out. I usually order the rasberry lemon cheesecake , but this time I tasted my girlfriends key lime cheesecake and fell in love. So for the last few days I have been searching high and low for a place that sell's key lime cheesecake ( or pie would be even better ). So if you come over for dinner one evening and I bring out my "famous" key lime pie , don't give away my secret.
No comments:
Post a Comment