Friday, February 17, 2006

Day III : Pearl Harbor








This morning was awesome. I only recently saw parts of the Pearl Harbor movie. The fact that I am here and seeing the site first hand has been amazing. I cannot even describe it. I will have to send pictures for you to get the full effect ( as much as you can get seeing it through our eyes ). We left this morning and went immedietely to the war memorial. The whole exhibit is free , but I reccommend getting the audio tour ( $5.00 per person ) . It made all the difference while we were doing the tour. You start out viewing a murial of the ship ( The Arizona ) and then go through a series of displays about the base, and the different events that lead up and included the Pearl Harbor attack. You then are called to see a video presentation about the days following up to and actual footage of the attack. After this you board a boat out to the wreckage of the ships and the memorial to those who died and are still entombed (sp) below the memorial. It was very sobering and to think of all of the lives lost that day is mind boggling. It also served as a reminder to me that my stepfather served during this time and the irony of his recent death. Marc and I walked around the museum shop after we returned from the memorial area. We feel blessed to have the opportunity to have been here and to have seen a part of history in person. Its also amazing to me that we have stayed on the very island in which all of this occured. I can almost imagine what it must have been like for the wives who watched from the windows of their base housing as there spouses and friends were attacked . Its as if paradise put a spell on you and for a moment in time our people forgot the reason for which we are here. As beautiful as it all is , one must rememeber this is a military base and that are men and women are here for a purpose.

No comments: