
Wow! Its been over three weeks since my life went through some rather drastic changes. Seems like I have been living out of a suitcase for the last three to four weeks. So much has changed since I last wrote. My stepfather passed away nearly four weeks ago. To say that it hasn't changed some things in my family would be an understatement. And before I could fully grasp the lost and the legacy he left behind (not sure he ever fully understood that himself, but it hit me hard as a brick while sitting at the funeral with my mom, sisters, neices, and nephews and several other family and friends) out of the blue my husband announced I had less then 24 hours to pack for a 10 day trip to Hawaii ! I had spent four days with my mom preparing for the funeral, and upon my return home got sick. It was 4 days later when my husband informed me (while I was in bed recuperating)that I needed to get an ID card by tommorrow, pack and prepare for a 10 day trip. That was all he told me. The rest is a blur (it took me days to come out of the fog, even when I stepped foot off the plan in Oahu I still was in shock). I did get the word out though and our friends and family declared it a much needed trip and cheered us on (mostly Marc who had now become the "man",the "bomb", "husband of the year" and few other names that made him beam and stick his chest out). Its been a wonderful 12 days, and I came back with renewed spirit, 1800 pictures, a new suitcase (actually two) filled with gifts for family and friends, and a tan of all things!
What I learned from this trip:
Hawaii is a beautiful place, and even though it was never on my list of must see places I am very glad I was blessed with the opportunity to go. I would not have traded my time with Marc for anything. I also learned a lot about Marc, and that is that he is a very special man. Not that I didn’t know this after nearly 23 years of marriage, but the fact that he would take the time to surprise me with such and awesome gift. Hawaii has always been a place he wanted to visit and he actually wanted to share it with me. I also learned just how much I can count on my family. My uncle and my mom took good care of our "children" while we were away. I also realized how much I love my children and even though they can be a pain at times, and test my sanity on a daily basis, they are my life and I don’t like being separated from them. But I understand the importance of them learning to stand on their own and for the importance of Marc and me putting our relationship first because they may be my babies, but they are adults. I know this will not be our last trip alone together. We are in the process of planning an Alaskan cruise for our 25th anniversary. I also have learned the importance of giving back to someone the blessings God has bestowed upon us. Glen and Shelly were a blessing to us and so many ways (many I may not ever fully know). I hope in the future that we can do the same for someone else. I also see how much faith they put in God and his plan for not only their daily life, but there future. I think Marc learned a few things this trip also. Firstly, that he must take time to enjoy life (and not just work, and work) day by day. And secondly I know for sure that he has learned that God has a plan for his life and he need to only walk in faith that it will happen in God’s time and is his place. Yes, Hawaii can be described as a Paradise, but I found Paradise already existed in my marriage to Marc, and in my relationship with family and friends.
2 comments:
cyndi..i am so happy to hear that you found your own little slice of paradise :) with the people that truely count, family...
WOW!!! What an amazing person you are! Have I ever told you that my friend? Well I am so very proud to call you friend. My long lost sister! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you!!! Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! No wonder wonderful Marc wanted to take you to Hawaii! I am so excited ya'll had that time together. Thanks for sharing it! Hey Marc you ROCK!!! You always did but I think this takes the Cheesecake!!!
Post a Comment